Thursday, November 15, 2007

Best Rendition of "Amazing Grace" Ever Performed.


Because of another presidential debate tonight, I was looking around YouTube for a Ronald Reagan debate video I could post. Eventually I came upon this video of Irish Tenor Ronan Tynan singing Amazing Grace at Ronald Reagan's funeral three years ago. I remember how incredible it sounded the first time and watching and hearing it again, it remains inspiring. In fact, I think this is the BEST rendition of Amazing Grace ever performed.

The first time I ever heard Ronan Tynan was several years ago. I was on the computer and in the background I could hear the television set in the other room that I kept on just for some sound. The Irish Tenors were on the tube but I paid little attention. Then suddenly, in the middle of typing on my keyboard, my hands froze. I listened in amazement to Ronan Tynan singing The Town I Loved So Well. I immediately ran into the other room to watch the TV. I couldn't believe how well that moving song was performed. Once I heard that the singer was named Ronan Tynan, I searched everything I could about him on the Web and I have been a fan ever since.

A few years went by and one day it was announced in 2004 that the great Ronald Reagan had passed away. One of the first thoughts that hit me was a wish that Ronan Tynan could perform Amazing Grace at his funeral. And so it came to pass. My wish was fulfilled and I was not disappointed. I think you will agree that there was something mystical about Ronan Tynan's performance that day. And was there ever a singer and song more appropriate for such an occasion?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The arrangement was amazing as well.

One point- in his last verse it sounded like he sings, "No less ways", while I remember singing, "No less days".

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tynan came to a company event I attended in January, and he is an amazing man with an amazing story. Maybe even a DUmmie could get a moment of mental clarity and be inspired by him.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

Thank you so much for posting this magnificent rendition of Amazing Grace.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good stuff........mansions of the lord was my favorite memory of that event.

Stay Safe

1:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely *rendition*, Peej. Thanks for posting it. While not FUnnie, still worth seeing again.

NFP

5:36 AM  
Blogger Son Of The Godfather said...

Good God, if you're not stirred by that, you ain't alive.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Son Of The Godfather said...

Another excellent rendition:
Here

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home